Are There Special Education Benefits Available for Military Spouses?

MilitaryJanuary 04, 2013

At most educational institutions, military spouses will have access to many or all of the same great classes and tools that active duty and retired military have. In addition,  many schools participate in Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA).  The MyCAA program provides up to $4,000 of Financial Assistance for military spouses who are pursuing degree programs, licenses or credentials leading to employment in portable career fields.  Take the time to do the research and you can find a variety of different degree programs that will be able to help spouses to prepare for a career no matter where the military might take them. 

The Department of Veteran Affairs offers educational assistance to some spouses or child dependents. In order to receive the educational assistance, the service-member must (1) have died due to a service-related disability, (2) be missing in action for more than 90 days, or (3) be hospitalized with debilitating injuries.   Surviving spouses cannot use the educational assistance if they remarry before the age of 57, and or if they do not use the assistance within 10 years of their date of eligibility. One of the double-edged swords of the military is the frequent moving. 

While it is great to be able to see different parts of the country and different nations around the world, it can take its toll. It can make it very difficult to get an education because of frequent moves. Choosing the right school for getting an online education will help to remove the fear of those barriers. Since the spouses are taking their courses online, it does not matter if they are in San Diego or Berlin.

Tags: military

Military-friendly programs available today at Fortis

Find Your Program Now