The Fortis History
We've come a long way, but we're just getting started.
FORTIS is a post-secondary network of colleges and institutes that engages students in a powerful learning and training experience for lifelong growth. With the addition of each new campus, Fortis now offers career-based certificate, diploma and degree-granting programs at more than 30 schools in 14 states. FORTIS College and FORTIS Institute campuses prepare students for careers in healthcare, nursing, medical, dental, business, information technology, massage, cosmetology and the skilled trades such as welding and HVAC.
HISTORY OF FORTIS:
September, 2008 – FORTIS College campus in Salt Lake City was opened in Utah.
December, 2008 – FORTIS College campus in Norfolk became the third school to wear the FORTIS name, with the opening of the new facility in Norfolk, VA. Campus was formerly known as Virginia Career Institute in Virginia Beach.
January, 2009 - FORTIS adds four new Fortis College campus locations in Alabama, in the cities of Dothan, Foley, Mobile and Montgomery. These campuses were formerly known as Capps College.
February, 2009 – FORTIS continues to expand by adding FORTIS College in Richmond as our second Virginia location, also formerly known as Virginia Career Institute. FORTIS adds our first campus in Florida with the addition of FORTIS Institute in Pensacola, formerly a Capps College campus.
November/December 2009 - Grand opening of our brand new FORTIS College campus in Indianapolis, IN. Florida expansion continues with the addition of FORTIS College in Orange Park, FL (formerly known as North Florida Institute). FORTIS College Landover becomes our first Maryland campus (the former Medix School South campus).
April, 2010 – The FORTIS brand expands across the states of Pennsylvania and Ohio:
- In Pennsylvania, FORTIS Institute, Forty Fort campus and FORTIS Institute, Scranton campus are added to the roster with both formerly known as AMTI.
- In Ohio, the FORTIS College campuses in Columbus and in Cincinnati were former Bohecker College locations. FORTIS College in Cuyahoga Falls , OH was formerly known as National Institute of Technology (NIT). The FORTIS College campus in Centerville, OH had been known as RETS College in the Dayton, OH market.
November, 2010 - Montgomery, AL receives its second FORTIS campus with the addition of a FORTIS College locat ed at Eastdale Road in Montgomery. FORTIS opens a brand new facility in New Jersey as we add FORTIS Institute campus in Lawrenceville , NJ.
December, 2010 – Formerly known as Berdan Institute, the FORTIS Institute, Wayne , NJ campus proudly becomes the second FORTIS campus in New Jersey.
June/July, 2011 - Expansion of the FORTIS brand continues across Florida, Texas and Tennessee:
- A brand new FORTIS College campus was opened in Cutler Bay, FL in the Miami suburbs to serve south Florida.
- FORTIS campus locations were added in Texas. FORTIS College in Houston South, and FORTIS Institute in Houston North area were former MedVance Institute campuses.
- The FORTIS Institute campus in Nashville, TN was rebranded to FORTIS and had formerly been known as MedVance Institute.
September, 2011 – In the Baltimore, Maryland market, FORTIS Institute – Towson was the latest addition, formerly known as Medix School Towson.
November, 2011 – The FORTIS name expands into the state of Louisiana with the addition of the FORTIS College campus in Baton Rouge, LA, which had formerly been a MedVance Institute campus.
May, 2013 - Expanding further into Florida, FORTIS adds another campus, previously known as MedVance Institute, in Port St. Lucie.