We have a dedicated team in place to support our military students. From admissions to financial aid to Career Services, FORTIS understands your needs as a member of the military community.
FORTIS Online is a proud member of the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Consortium. The SOC is a consortium of colleges and universities dedicated to helping service members and their families earn college degrees. Recognizing the problems faced by military students whose jobs require frequent moves, SOC Consortium member schools make it easier to obtain college degrees rather than just accumulate course credit by:
- Limiting the amount of course work students must take at a single college to no more than 25% of degree requirements (30% for degrees offered 100% online), specifically avoiding any "final year" or "final semester" residency requirement
- Designing transfer practices to minimize loss of credit and avoid duplication of course work
- Awarding credit for military training and experience
- Awarding credit for nationally-recognized tests such as College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) General and Subject Examinations, DSST Examinations, Excelsior College Examinations (ECE)
Affordability is equally important for advancing the education of the extended military community. FORTIS Online helps in several ways to make your advanced education more affordable:
- We are approved for VA (GI Bill) and DoD TA tuition funding
- We offer military-friendly tuition
- We are a participating school in the Federal Student Aid program
- We provide a comprehensive transfer credit policy including a no-cost evaluation that can help you earn your degree more quickly by accepting applicable:
- Military training and experience credit validated by ACE
- AP, CLEP and DSST (DANTES) examinations
- Prior coursework from other colleges
- We participate in military partnerships such as:
- Service members Opportunity Colleges (SOC)
- Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program
Our military benefits apply to the extended military community. Whether you are serving active-duty in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard; serving in the reserves or National Guard; or are a veteran or a military spouse, FORTIS Online will be proud to serve as your choice for pursuing and completing an advanced education. Please read below for information on our tuition, fees and available financial assistance for those who qualify, the transference of credits and our programs for military spouses. Learn about all the benefits FORTIS Online has to offer the military community.
Military members may be eligible for various forms of financial assistance in addition to the military-friendly tuition rate mentioned above. Coupled with the reduced tuition rate, your veteran benefits could potentially cover the entire cost of your education.
DoD tuition assistance (TA) is available to those on active duty status (including reserves and National Guard members) and eligible spouses through the MyCAA program. Up to $4,500 annually is available to members on active duty status. Up to $4,000 in total is available to eligible spouses in the MyCAA program. Specific TA information is available through your local military education facility.
- Significant and various forms of VA (GI Bill) benefits are available to the extended military community. These can apply to members both while in the service and as veterans. Some of the earned benefits may also be available to member dependents.
- FORTIS Online is also a participating school in the Federal Student Aid Program. Financial aid is available to those who qualify. This program provides both grants and student loans to eligible students. Our professional financial aid staff can help you determine your eligibility for this financial assistance.
- For more information on our military benefits and programs, please fill out the form below or call us at 1-855-4 FORTIS (1-855-436-7847)
FORTIS Online Student Military Service Grant Program
FORTIS is proud to offer active-duty military, military spouses, and veterans taking online programs reduced tuition through our Military Service Grant Program to help ease the financial burden of education. Eligible military service members and their spouses (as defined below), upon showing proof of military affiliation (ie: DD214, Military ID, Certificate of Eligibility), may participate in FORTIS' online Military Service Grant Program and are exempt from paying registration fees. Please note that all grants are applied as a credit to the student's tuition account. FORTIS does not provide cash grants directly to students.
- Active duty military: This grant is equal to the difference between the published program per quarter credit hour tuition rate and $165 per quarter credit hour. This grant assures that the active duty military student will not pay more than $165 per credit hour (the amount typically covered under military tuition assistance programs.)
- In-active military (Veterans) and military spouses: For these students this grant is equal to 10% of the current published quarterly tuition rate.
Registration fees are waived for active and in-active military (veterans) and military spouses.
Students whose status changes during their enrollment will have their grant status re-evaluated at the beginning of the next term. All military students who meet the eligibility requirements (as outlined above) will receive these grants for the duration of their enrollment with FORTIS Online. The grants do not expire and there is no monetary limit to the amount awarded.
FORTIS Online offers many degree programs that can assist service member spouses in preparing for a portable career, which can help military families to offset the inconvenience and financial impact of the frequent relocations.
At FORTIS Online, we also recognize the significant sacrifices the spouse makes -along with the service member – and for that reason we offer several benefits for military spouses.
Spouses of Armed Forces members receive the same military–friendly reduced tuition rate and fee benefits offered to eligible service members.
Financial Aid Information for Military Spouses
- FORTIS Online is a participant in the Military OneSource Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts program, or MyCAA. This Department of Defense program offers qualified military spouses up to $4,000 in tuition benefits. MyCAA also offers employment readiness counseling and career services assistance.
- FORTIS Online is also a participating school in the Federal Student Aid Program. This program provides both grants and student loans. Our professional student aid staff can help you determine your eligibility.
- Take advantage of FORTIS Online convenience, flexibility, and affordability in pursuing your advanced education! For more information on our military spouse benefits and our MyCAA participation, fill out the form below or call us at 1-855-4 FORTIS (1-855-436-7847).
Military Transfer Credit Policy
To help the military community reach their education objectives as quickly as possible, FORTIS Online provides a comprehensive transfer credit policy as defined below:
- General education courses completed at any time will be considered for transfer.
- Credits may be awarded for successful completion of Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST) examinations in subject areas equivalent to courses within the student's FORTIS Online program. The student must provide official documentation in order to receive course credit. All credit is awarded at the discretion of the Director of Education.
- Military training will be evaluated by the FORTIS Online using the American Council of Education (ACE) recommendations for college credit.
- Military students who complete additional military training after enrolling may apply to have that coursework transferred in up until their last term of enrollment.
- The maximum allowable combined transfer credit and credit by examination that can be awarded is 75% of the credits for the total program. 25% of the credits for the total program must be earned at FORTIS Online to receive a degree from FORTIS Online.
In addition to the above transfer credit policy FORTIS Online is committed to honoring the SOC Military Student Bill of Rights.