Fueled by social media, women and men are pouring billions of dollars into products and procedures that help them look and feel their best. With this comes the need for trained and licensed beauty and wellness professionals. The cosmetology industry offers a variety of creative and business-oriented career options, from salon owner, hair stylist and colorist, to makeup artist and nail technician. Here are the five steps to becoming a cosmetologist:
- Be at least 16 years of age and have a high school diploma or a GED.
- Enroll in a state-licensed cosmetology school.
- Complete your courses. Most programs take 9-15 months to complete.
- Complete training hours. Depending on the state, you will need to complete between 1,000 and 2,300 hours, including time spent in the classroom.
- Pass the state licensing exam. All states require licensing for cosmetologists. Candidates for a license must graduate a state-approved cosmetology program and pass a state exam.
Once you have passed your licensing exam, you are ready to enter the field of cosmetology. Fortis Institute offers cosmetology training in Pensacola, Florida. Students in the program learn cosmetology by studying and practicing techniques in a wide range of modalities, including haircutting, creative hair styling, coloring, modern nail technology, skin care, chemistry, facials, and salon management.
If you are interested in gaining the skills needed for a successful career as a cosmetologist, consider Fortis Institute’s cosmetology program in Pensacola, Florida or give us a call at 1-855-436-7847 for more information.