Fortis Nashville MLT Program - Mission, Goals and Student Learning Outcomes:
Mission Statement for MLT program
The MLT program strives to educate students to achieve entry level technical skills and as well life skills to succeed in the laboratory profession. The values of integrity of work , service excellence & dedication to serving the patients, and respect for one another will be the cornerstone of the training program. We are committed to providing each student with the education to contribute to their own growth thereby the economic and social well being of the area.
Program Goals/Objectives for MLT
The objective of this program is to prepare the graduate for a career in the medical laboratories of hospitals, reference laboratories, physician offices, and in other related medical laboratories. Students develop the knowledge and skills for clinical laboratory tests that are needed to assist physicians in the diagnosis and treatment of patients.
- To provide a strong curriculum based on current needs.
- To maintain quality of instruction in clinical laboratory science courses by including instruction in the latest technological advances.
- To develop in students professional attitudes required of clinical laboratory technicians.
- To educate students in the benefits and merits of continuing professional development.
- To provide competent entry-level clinical laboratory technicians to the region served by the programs.
MLT Program Outcomes (Competencies)
- Demonstrate proper procedures for the collection, safe handling, and analysis of biological specimens
- Utilize and teach scientific principles, laboratory principles, and measurement technologies for generating laboratory data on human specimens
- Perform laboratory testing with accuracy and precision, with respect to timeliness of results and relay of critical information to providers
- Evaluate problems that impact on laboratory services and take corrective actions
- Operate equipment properly, troubleshoot, and perform preventive maintenance and corrective maintenance
- Interpret clinical significance, clinical procedures, and laboratory test data accurately
- Utilize principles of quality assurance and quality control to all aspects of laboratory services: pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical
- Comply with established laboratory safety regulations and regulations governing regulatory compliance related to lab/pathology services
- Integrating and relating lab data generated by the various clinical departments, interpreting and following up discrepancies, confirming results follow the normal or abnormal criteria.
- Apply principles and concepts of lab operations to clinical decision making.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior and professionalism, maintain confidentiality of patient information, and participate in continuing education for one's professional development.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the future of the medical laboratory profession through involvement in national professional societies