The VRAP Path to Higher Education

MilitaryApril 03, 2013

VRAP, or the Veterans Retraining Assistance Program, can be used toward an Associates Degree, non-college degree or certificate, within certain parameters. To qualify, you must be an unemployed veteran between the ages of 35 and 60…not be part of a federal or state job training program, not have received a dishonorable discharge and not eligible for other VA education benefits, such as the GI Bill…and be enrolled in school full-time. 

VRAP then may provide up to 12 months of training assistance of $1,564.00 per month, which is equal to the monthly full-time rate paid under the Montgomery GI Bill program. Veterans who complete the program also will receive employment assistance from the Department of Labor. Veterans must be enrolled in a VA-approved education program at a community college or career school that prepares them for a job in one of VRAP’s list of occupations with opportunity for job and career growth potential. That list includes numerous healthcare practitioner and support professions; medical and dental office management and support positions in billing and insurance; HVAC and Refrigeration; and commercial truck drivers, and more. 

If you’re a veteran who would like to know more about online educational opportunities, visit

Tags: military

Military-friendly programs available today at Fortis

Find Your Program Now